When you are downsizing, and you have possessions to sell, the difference between an online and a live auction is night and day. Long gone are the days of an auction in your home. It's incredible the value an online auction provides for our customers. Let's break down the numbers:
- Greater exposure. Selling online means you can sell to the entire world. A live auction takes place in a short period of time in one place. That means those auctions only draw local people who are available at the time of the auction. Online auctions meanwhile can last a week, and are accessible to anyone, anywhere! People can place bids from their phones. That means thousands more people will see your auction and you'll get 2-3 times the number of bids you would at a live auction, meaning your goods will usually sell for more online than they would in person.
- No transportation expenses. It's rare to hold an auction at a home anymore. Now you have to transport your goods to the live auction site and they will typically be sold along with several other people's goods. An online auction means you can often leave your sale items right where they are, so you save money.
- It costs less. The price of holding a live auction has gone up a lot, mostly because online auctions being a more popular choice. With an online auction, there are no movers to pay, no venues to rent, and they are less expensive to advertise.
- Less hassle. It takes a lot of effort to organize your things, pack, ship, and unpack them for an auction. It's a huge chore. For an online auction, we can photograph your goods in your own home, and buyers pack them up when they pick them up. If you are using Gordon's, it’s all done for you!
- More is sold, less is wasted. In a live auction, you may end up throwing away two thirds of your possessions, mostly because it's too much of a challenge to transport or they won’t sell at a live auction. Selling online means you will see almost everything. We usually see 98.5% of the goods put up for auction sell. That means more cash in your pocket!
- Clear records. Your auction will include pictures of everything you sell, and a record is kept of every detail. So you will always know where your possessions went, and how much they sold for.
Having an online auction is hands down the better option. In our experience, the value of an online auction wins over a live auction almost every time.